Grenade Thermo Detonator weight loss management system and pre-workout energizer is just one of many products manufactured by Grenade (UK) Ltd. This one appears to be their flagship as it bears the name of the company.
Grenade says it’s the perfect addition to a high-protein, low-calorie diet and exercise routine. With the buzz line “Declare War On Fat”, there is no doubt as to what theme Grenade is gunning for here (get it? Grenades, War, Gunning…meh!).
They also state that Grenade is suitable for men and women, from the recreational gym user to the pro athlete. So…everybody, then.
The packaging definitely looks the part and if we judged diet pills and training supplements on appearance, Grenade would get full marks. Unfortunately, we don’t do that. When you strip away all the fancy stuff, you are left with a blend of ingredients. How effectively those ingredients help you to lose unwanted fat is the real question.
Whether you give us a plain white bottle of pills or a flashy grenade looking container; we’ll open it up and have a look all the same.
What Is Grenade?
Thermogenic training supplements have been gathering a lot of attention amongst the bodybuilding community in the last couple of years. Of particular interest is their fat-targeting characteristics which is seen as an opportunity to maintain muscle mass while burning unwanted fat. Grenade is one of these supplements.
The company states that within the recipe there are a few particular ingredients which they are not “scrimping” on and are actually included at levels just below those that may have side effects. By saying this, they are telling us they are pushing the limits of ingredients to provide the most powerful blend possible. Those ingredients are:
- Green Tea extract (500mg per serving) – Molecules called Catechins are the active substance in green tea extract. Catechins have positive effects throughout the body. In this case they have been included for their fat burning and anti-oxidant behaviour.
Grenade point out that the specific catechin – epigallocatechin galate – is likely the most important natural, legal molecule in fat burning.
[info]TIP: Taking a fish oil supplement will help increase the bio-availibility of the Catechins.[/info]
- Bitter Orange (420mg per serving) – This dosage is actually comprised of a mix of bitter orange sources. There is strong evidence to support them as fat burners but we would like to see the ingredients broken down into quantities. For example – it contains synephrine which is not recommended in doses higher than 50mg per day. It is unclear how much synephrine is in this bitter orange powder.
[warning]CAUTION: There are two ingredient lists – one for the UK/Europe customers and one for the US customers. Some substances in the bitter orange extract for the US are banned by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) or give false positives for opiate based substances. If you are a competitor, beware.[/warning]
Other ingredients in Grenade (Thermo Detonator):
- Caffeine anhydrous for fat mobilization, energy and stimulation
- Cayenne to supply thermogenic heat
- Phenylalanine for appetite suppressant, thyroid function support and;
- Green coffee – a proven fat burner
That’s the UK recipe, whereas the US list is more of a proprietary blend incorporating all of the above, with the addition of:
- Grapefruit seed extract – prolongs effectiveness of weight loss supplements
- Capsicum Annum – burns fat via metabolism boost
- Evodiamine – increases energy, fat metabolism and it's an appetite suppressant
- Yohimbe Bark extract – increases secretion of fat metabolizing hormones, it's also a stimulant and aphrodisiac
- Raspberry Ketones – improves weight loss and increases lean muscle mass
- Cocoa Bean extract – improves weight loss, reduces cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and is an anti-oxidant
- Coleus Forskohlii – fat burner
- Yerba Mate leaf – stimulant, calorie burner, appetite suppressant, weight loss aid
- DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol) – stimulant and metabolic regulator
Grenade Ltd. ask customers to contact them for information on ‘rest-of-the-world’ orders of their product. The differences between US and UK ingredients are related to regulated substances acts in both countries.
By consulting their FAQ page, browsers will notice Grenade Ltd. answer the question regarding differences between the UK and US version of the product by saying some of the stimulants may feel slightly different but the power of the two recipes is much the same.
That was a lot of ingredient talk, but what are you going to get out of it? Well, as described, Grenade is promoted primarily as a weight loss system and secondly as a pre-workout energizer.
With thermogenic supplements, these benefits tend to come together anyway because the inclusion of the stimulants and metabolic enhancers that increase the body’s core temperature and therefore promote fat burning as a source of energy also act as energizers themselves.
As with many similar products, Grenade recommends that you start by taking 1 capsule, twice a day to assess your tolerance of the ingredients. Then, if you feel good and ready for the full effect, you can start on the 2 capsule, twice daily routine as outlined:
- 1st serving (2 caps): After waking up in the morning (ideally 30 mins before breakfast)
- 2nd serving (2 caps): Before lunch (ideally 30 mins before lunch)
Note: on training days where you workout after lunch, you should take the 2nd serving 30 minutes before your workout. If you work out within 5 hours of going to bed, then you should take the 2nd serving before 5 hours from bed time as the stimulants could interrupt your sleep. They say as long as you are within 3.5 hours of your workout, you will get the energizing effects.
Basically, read the instructions carefully and follow them. They are there for good reason.
Grenade is available from several websites so tracking down some independent reviews from them is not difficult. Feedback varies but it’s generally positive:
[plain]“Best thing ever. In one week of working out normally I lost 8 lbs and went form 19% body fat to 11%.”[/plain]
[plain]“This worked great for me up until about 2 weeks in. After that it wasn’t really effective. I think your body quickly adapts to it.”[/plain]
[plain]“It does what it says it is going to do. it really doses me and gives me that extra boost during my workout.”[/plain]
[plain]“This worked well in terms of helping me stay cut on my high calorie diet but the 30 minute wait time between taking a dose and eating was difficult. I felt dizzy and nauseated until my food hit my stomach. Still, it is a thermo, I should have expected it.”[/plain]
Side Effects and Other Issues
The ingredient make-up of Grenade is designed to have a strong effect on bodyweight and composition and employs many potent stimulants to help achieve this. As such, there are precautions to take before you decide to try the product. The company strongly suggests seeking medical advice for any one of the following situations:
- you are taking any other medication
- you are diabetic
- you have existing thyroid problems
- you have existing high blood pressure
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- with any other supplements containing caffeine or stimulants
Grenade contains a lot of stimulant and caffeine based ingredients. Together with the large does of bitter orange extracts, possible side effects include:
- irregular heartbeat
- increased blood pressure
We recommend you follow the precautions and instructions carefully to minimize the chance of experiencing these side effects.
As a fat burner, Grenade (Thermo Detonator) does seem to have the desired effect in many cases. Similarly, as a pre-workout energizer, people are saying good things. However, based on a little research of the hundreds of very available comments online, the reports of side effects are quite common, specifically complaints of dizziness, nausea and light headedness.
There are products out there which provide equal results but with a cleaner energy boost (less side effects). Of course, there are many alternatives that are far worse; like those comprised of an even more stimulant-heavy recipe. Some people obviously benefit from the strong doses in Grenade as it gives them the edge they are looking for in their workouts. Others will not respond so well.
As for “declaring war on fat”, Grenade definitely takes the fight seriously, even if there is some collateral damage.
Grenade (Thermo Detonator) is available to buy from Amazon, ebay, GNC and many other online retailers, supplement stores and gyms in the UK, USA, Europe and elsewhere. You can email them for specific details on availability.
Please feel free to read our reviews of the best fat burners available to buy.
We have tried to test and review as many as we can to prepare the best-of page. There have been many more which didn't even make the cut for a review.
Therefore, the products we most recommend are the best of the best.
Follow the link below to see the top supplements we've found.